About Michael Collins
I am a BPC Registered Psychodynamic Psychotherapist & BACP Senior Accredited and Registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist with over 30 years experience in working with individuals, couples and groups of all ages, ethnic/culturally diverse backgrounds and sexual orientations.
My professional counselling/therapy training began in 1990, whilst I was working as a project worker and counsellor in a residential setting with male long-term alcohol and substance mis-users. I then worked as a university student and staff counsellor, before moving onto the NHS where I gained extensive experience of working as a therapist and group/organisational consultant with both patients and staff in a variety of settings.
My time in these various organisational settings has led to a particular interest in the complex relationship between individuals and groups (starting out with our first group - the family) and how each impacts upon and influences the other, which can help or hinder change and growth, for both individuals and groups.
- Training in Psychosexual Therapy with Individuals and Couples (2014)
- Neuroscience for Therapists (9 days - 2014)
- BAP Supervision Training (2012)
- Diploma in Couples Counselling & Psychotherapy (2010)
- Certificates in Attachment & Counselling/Psychotherapy Practice (2006/7)
- Certicate in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (2005)
- Certificate in Clinical Assessment (2000)
- Certificate in Time-Limited Psychotherapy (1999)
- MSc in Psychodynamic Counselling & Psychotherapy (1996/8)
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling and Organisational Settings (1993/5)
- PG Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling and Organisational Settings (1992/3)
- Certificate in Counselling Theories, Attitudes & Skills (1991)
- BPC Registered Psychodynamic Psychotherapist
- BACP Registered Counsellor and Psychotherapist
- BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Full Member of the Birkbeck Counselling Association
- Full Member of the Association of Independent Practitioners
- Member of the Association for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the NHS
I have been in personal jungian psychotherapy and later went into in-depth psychoanalysis and currently I continue to regularly meet with a more experienced practitioner for clinical supervision and also attend continuing professional development (CPD) events/workshops to maintain, improve and broaden my clinical knowledge and skills.
Some of my past work/therapy experience has been:
Lecturer in Counselling/Therapy for Birkbeck College and other counselling/training organisations
11 years as an in-house NHS Staff Counsellor, Supervisor and Organisational Consultant working with all members of staff
Student and Staff Counsellor in Higher Education (University setting)
Consultant Clinical Assessment Counsellor (Westminster Pastoral Foundation)
Counsellor (individuals, couples and families) and group facilitator in a GP Health Centre
Time-Limited Psychotherapy with Adolescents at the YPCS, Tavistock Clinic
Counsellor, Supervisor and Group Facilitator working in a residential care setting with individuals, couples, groups and families with long-term addiction & dependency issues
I have been providing supervision to qualified and trainee counsellors/therapists for over 15 years, and I have a personal interest in the relationship between the clinical work and the workplace setting.
I have extensive experience in supervising short and long-term clinical work that takes place in private practice, residential care, day programs, higher education, social services, prisons, primary care and hospital settings.
I also supervise practitioners who provide couples counselling/therapy, as well as, supervising the supervision of other supervisors.
My approach to supervision draws on psychoanalytic, psychodynamic, relational, attachment, systemic, cognitive and transpersonal theories and concepts, and pays particular attention to here-and-now transference and countertransference phenomena and the parallel process.
If you are interested in knowing more about my supervision approach I would be happy to discuss via email/telephone any questions or queries you may have.